1. Home
  2. COVID-19 Resources
  3. Housing / Shelter Resources

Housing / Shelter Resources

What Should I Do If I Can’t Pay Rent?

Please be aware that Oregon has a statewide eviction moratorium in place that prohibits evictions for non-payment of rent, fees or utilities. Please see below for more information.

Oregon Eviction Moratorium

On June 26th, Oregon lawmakers passed an extension to the eviction ban in a bill title HB 4213.

What does the eviction ban include now: 

  • Landlords can’t evict tenants, or even threaten to evict, for not paying rent, utilities, and fees through September 30th, 2020
  • Landlords can’t evict tenants, or even threaten to evict, without cause through September 30th, 2020
  • Landlords can’t charge any late fees if tenants can’t pay rent during this time. 
  • Tenants have 6 months (until March 31st, 2021) to payback any unpaid rent that is owed from April 1st to September 30th, 2020
  • Landlords can’t report to credit bureaus if you can’t pay your rent, utilities, fees, etc.

Source: https://www.oregoncat.org/cat-covid19-resources. For more information and a sample letter to landlord, please see the PDF below from Oregon Law Center/Legal Aid Services of Oregon.


Multnomah County Eviction Moratorium

For customers in Multnomah County that can’t pay rent due to loss of income due to Covid-19, they must:

  • Notify their landlord as soon as possible
  • In Multnomah County, tenants will have 6 months to pay back the rent owed during this emergency, which the statewide order does not include. This grace period begins once the Governor’s order is lifted or the County’s emergency declaration ends, whichever is later.
  • You do not have to provide proof of your income loss to your landlord. (However, it’s a good idea to save related documentation. Possible state or federal rent assistance programs, if made available, will likely require proof.)

Full details available at: multco.us/covid-eviction.

City of Beaverton Eviction Moratorium
  • In addition to the Oregon State Eviction Moratoria protections , this Eviction Moratoria states that if Beaverton residents cannot pay their rent now, they will still need to pay it back by September 17, 2020. (https://www.beavertonoregon.gov/1879/Eviction-Moratorium )
  • If you would like more information about the Residential Moratorium on Evictions the City of Beaverton is staffing a phone hotline 503-629-6427 and email account CovidHousingInfo@BeavertonOregon.gov to respond to questions, with a commitment to maintaining a 24 hour response time for calls received M-F. The phone hotline will offer information in English and Spanish and responses in multiple languages, including Spanish, Arabic, Korean, Vietnamese, and Chinese. The email hotline will offer information and responses in Spanish, Arabic, Korean, Vietnamese, and Chinese.
City of Hillsboro Eviction Moratorium

To qualify for the eviction protection, affected tenants would need to:

  1. Demonstrate substantial loss of income. Acceptable documentation includes, but is not limited to, proof of: loss of employment, reduction of wages, the need for care of family members, including children who have been kept out of school, illness, and lower gross receipts or closures due to government-imposed restrictions.
  2. Notify their landlords on or before the day that rent is due that they are unable to pay rent, fees, or charges due to substantial wage loss or loss of business income as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Tenants are still liable for unpaid rent, charges, or fees, but they will have six months after the expiration of the emergency declaration to pay the landlord unpaid rents that qualified to be deferred under this moratorium — without penalty or late fees. This includes utility charges paid directly to the landlord. After six months has passed, tenants may be evicted for unpaid rents, charges, and fees.

The moratorium applies only to tenants who are affected by COVID-19 and cannot pay rent, fees, services, or utilities normally paid to their landlord because of their substantial loss of income during this emergency. The moratorium does not apply to evictions for any other lawful purpose.

For more information see: https://www.hillsboro-oregon.gov/Home/Components/News/News/10513/44

Who Can I Talk to for More Guidance around the Eviction Moratoria?

  • For further guidance about the eviction moratoria, customers can contact:
  • Community Alliance of Tenants Renter’s Rights Hotline 503-288-0130 where customers will leave a message and get a call back. Hours: M, W, F, Sat 1pm-5pm, Tues 6pm-8pm https://www.oregoncat.org/
  • In Multnomah County, Legal Aid Services of Oregon https://lasoregon.org/services/ Portland: 503-224-4086
  • In Multnomah County, prescreening for legal services is also available through Steve Lara at El Programa Hispano: slara@elprograma.org 503-935-4256. He can provide information about tenant rights in English or Spanish without providing legal advice and can also serve undocumented people.
  • In Washington County, Oregon Law Center http://www.oregonlawcenter.org 503-640-4115
  • The City of Beaverton is staffing a phone hotline 503-629-6427 and email account CovidHousingInfo@BeavertonOregon.gov to respond to questions, with a commitment to maintaining a 24 hour response time for calls received M-F. The phone hotline will offer information in English and Spanish and responses in multiple languages, including Spanish, Arabic, Korean, Vietnamese, and Chinese. The email hotline will offer information and responses in Spanish, Arabic, Korean, Vietnamese, and Chinese.

What Should I Do If I Can’t Pay my Mortgage?

HB 4204 will support homeowners who are impacted by COVID by creating a statewide foreclosure moratorium and options for forbearance. The bill:

  • Addresses both commercial and residential foreclosures;
  • Temporarily halts foreclosures for non-payment until September 30, 2020 (The bill does not impact county tax foreclosures);
  • Creates a floor of protection for homeowners for repayment options. Homeowners must have the opportunity to roll any missed payments to the end of their loan period.
  • Homeowners with federal mortgages have more extensive protections for forbearance that will be available until December 31, 2020 under the CARES Act.

If you are a homeowner, and need help talking through your options, you can get in touch with a local Homeownership Center in your community.

What Housing Resources Are Available? (Shelters / Coordinated Access)

Multnomah County
  • For information on shelter access and other housing resources, please call 2-1-1.
  • For information on affordable housing prevention resources and homeless resources, call 2-1-1 or see refer this contact info based on your participant’s household type.
Household Type Contact Info
Adults only with no household member under 18 years old Coordinated Housing Assessment Team (caa@tprojects.org , 844-765-9384) and the Transition Projects Day Center (650 NW Irving St, 503-280-4700, www.tprojects.org/resource-center)
Families with household members under 18 years old Call 2-1-1
Unaccompanied Youth Janus Youth through the Access Center (1635 SW Alder St, 503-432-3986, www.janusyouth.org) and through mobile outreach.
Households Fleeing Domestic Violence Call to Safety – formerly the Portland Women’s Crisis Line (503-235-5333, www.calltosafety.org) or, for Spanish, Project UNICA (503-232-4448, https://www.projectunica.org/)
Veterans Online SSVF Pre-Screening Form (https://www.tprojects.org/help/veterans/ssvf.html), Veteran Services Hotline (855-425-5544),
Transition Projects Day Center (650 NW Irving St, 503-280-4700, www.tprojects.org/resource-center),
and VA Community Resource and Referral Center (308 SW 1st Ave, 503-808-1256 or 800-949-1004 ext. 51256, https://www.portland.va.gov/locations/crrc.asp)
Multnomah County Rent Assistance
  • NW Pilot Project housing assistance: At least one household member must be 55 years old or over, the household must live in Multnomah County or be homeless and must not include minor children under 18 years of age. To request an assessment, call (503) 227-5605. More info: https://www.nwpilotproject.org/rent-or-deposit-assistance/
Washington County
  • For information on shelter access, call the centralized Shelter Intake at Community Action ‐ 503‐726‐0850, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. For an updated list of open severe weather shelters in Washington County, contact 211 info or look at the Shelter Activation List available online: www.co.washington.or.us/homeless
  • For information on affordable housing prevention resources and homeless resources, the Community Connect system continues to operate with assessments performed via phone, as well in‐person assessments are conducted in compliance with social distancing.  Call 503‐640‐3263.

Other services include:

  • Hillsboro Friends Church Day Center is open on Sundays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. for meal, bathroom, and charging your cell phones. Center follows COVID safety precautions to include social distancing of all persons 6 feet or more apart, 1 person using the restroom with sanitizing after each use, and “to go” meals available.
  • To access services at Hawthorne Walk‐In Center, call the crisis line at 503‐291‐9111.
  • Domestic Violence Resource Center’s 24/7 Crisis Line is staffed and running to provide support and/or resources. Trained Crisis Line Advocates can be reached at (503)469‐8620.
  • Project Homeless Connect has opened a day center at the corner of Washington St and 6th Ave in Hillsboro. Services include showers, laundry, mail pick up and help with IDs. The center is open M-Th 9am to 3pm.
  • Winter Shelter delivers meals and other basic needs to those camping or otherwise living without housing in Western Washington County (Forest Grove, Cornelius, Gaston, Banks). Call 541-640-1790 M 6-8, T 1-5, W 11-2, Th 2-5, F 6-8 or email westaco.winterservices@gmail.com.
  • The Fields Apartment in Tigard is a newly build, 264-unit complex. There are 1, 2, and 3-bedroom units with rents affordable at 60% MFI. The Fields will officially begin lease-up around July 1st, but they are now keeping an interested persons list. Currently, there are about 30 households on the list. If you have clients who are interested in the property they can contact the site manager, Abby, at 971-276-0675 or email thefields@gslproperties.com.
Washington County Rent Assistance

Emergency rent assistance funds are available to help Washington County residents who are past due on the current month’s rent or have received a 72 hour eviction notice. Funds are limited and are distributed on a first come, first served basis until they are depleted.

The City of Hillsboro has also dedicated $100,000 for rental assistance to help households struggling to pay rent.

Requests for both of these types of rent assistance can be made by calling Community Action each business day starting at 9 am. If you have a lease in your name and you need help to maintain your housing call: 503-726-0850. If you do not have a lease, or are homeless and in need housing of assistance, please call: 503-640-3260.

The City of Tigard and the City of Tualatin have rent assistance available through St. Vincent de Paul. They can be contacted at svdp.rent@gmail.com or 503-684-8280. City of Tigard also has water assistance through the same phone number or svdptigardwater@gmail.com.

City of Beaverton residents can apply for rent assistance through the following organizations:

  • Community Action-503-615-0770 (call every day at 9 a.m. until appointment is scheduled with staff)
  • APANO (bicultural and bilingual assistance available for Asian communities), 971-245-2501 | covidsupport@apano.org 
  • Centro Cultural (bicultural and bilingual assistance available for the Latinx community) 503-359-0446, centroinfo@centrocultural.org
  • Muslim Educational Trust (bicultural and bilingual assistance available for Muslim community, and Arabic and Somali communities), 503-579-6621, leadership@metpdx.org
Additional Assistance Per City

Additional assistance by city can be found in the spreadsheet here.

How Can I Get a Temporary Mailing Address?

Contact 2-1-1. For Multnomah County, please see the resources at the following link: http://www.navigateresources.net/info/MatchList.aspx?k;Portland,%20Multnomah%20County;40530;;N;0;1385181;Temporary%20Mailing%20Address;Temporary%20Mailing%20Address;Partial to view a list of temporary mailing addresses for use by people without bank accounts.

How Can Staff Stay Informed?

  • In Multnomah County:  Email johs-em-duty@multco.us to be added to the Multnomah County COVID 19 Situation reports email list. Email JOHSAdmin@multco.us to be invited to bi-weekly calls on Mondays and Wednesdays from 8-9 am to hear live updates about COVID-19 related homeless services.
  • In Washington County:  Email Annette Evans at and ask to be added to the HSSN email list and receive Emergency Operation Center situation status reports.


Please contact our subject matter expert on Housing / Shelter Resources, Blair Schaeffer-Bisht.

Updated on July 2, 2020

Was this article helpful?

Related Articles